Spaghetti Alla Carbonara
This delicious Spaghetti Alla Carbonara will leave you asking for more.
- 4 ounces packaged dried spaghetti
- 2 ounces pancetta, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 pasteurized egg yolk or 2 tablespoons refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- 1/3 cup finely shredded Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (3 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped bottled roasted red sweet pepper
Adapted from bhg.com
In a large pot cook pasta according to package directions; drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Return pasta to pan; keep warm.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook and stir pancetta over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towel-lined plate.
Add onion and garlic to hot drippings in skillet; cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove skillet from heat; carefully add wine. Return skillet to heat. Bring wine to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, about 3 minutes or until most of the wine evaporates.
In a small bowl combine egg yolk and whipping cream. Stir in cheese, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
Add spaghetti and reserved water to onion mixture in skillet; toss gently over medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes to coat. Remove from heat; add egg mixture, peas, roasted pepper, and reserved pancetta. Toss well to coat. Serve immediately.