Oyster-Bacon Pot Pie
- 1 qt. shucked fresh oysters, undrained
- 4 thick bacon slices, diced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon table salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 (17.3-oz.) package frozen puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 1 large egg
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Place an oven rack in lower third of oven, and preheat oven to 400°. Drain oysters, reserving 1 1/2 cups oyster liquor. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 8 minutes or until crisp. Drain bacon on paper towels; reserve 3 Tbsp. drippings in Dutch oven.
2. Add butter and next 4 ingredients to Dutch oven; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic and lemon juice; cook 1 minute. Add wine, and cook 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Stir in cream, next 4 ingredients, and reserved oyster liquor; bring to a boil. Boil, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
3. Remove from heat; stir in oysters and bacon. Spoon mixture into 6 lightly greased 12-oz. ramekins. Cut pastry sheets into circles slightly larger than ramekins, and place 1 on top of filling in each ramekin. Whisk together egg and 1 Tbsp. water; brush mixture over pastry.
4. Bake at 400° on lower oven rack 30 to 35 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.