'Healthified' Custard, no sugar, low carb
really yummy, I like to add a drop of lemon or orange extract but great without it.
If you make the Angel Food Cake which uses 12 egg whites, make a double batch of custard to use all 12 egg yolks. You won't be disappointed. You can also dip cookies, biscotti etc into this custard ... maybe you'll find other ways to use it!
- “HEALTHIFIED” CUSTARD
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup Swerve (or erythritol and 1/4 tsp stevia glycerite)
- 1/4 cup butter or coconut oil, melted
Adapted from mariamindbodyhealth.com
1. Whisk egg yolks, almond milk, and sweetener in medium metal bowl to blend.
2. Slowly mix in the melted butter so the eggs don’t cook unevenly.
3. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water.
4. Whisk mixture constantly and vigorously until thickened and instant-read thermometer inserted into mixture registers 140°F for 3 minutes, about 5 minutes total (or coats the back of a spoon).
5. Remove mixture from over water. Serve warm or chilled. (If serving chilled, it can be prepared 1-3 days ahead and refrigerated. Re-whisk before serving.) Makes 4 servings.
NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving)
Traditional Custard = 240 calories, 19g fat, 4.2g protein, 15g carbs, 0g fiber
“Healthified” Custard = 185 calories, 18g fat, 4.2g protein, 1g carb, 0g fiber