Philly Cheesesteak Pizzas
- 3 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 Italian frying pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb shaved or very thinly sliced beef
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat pocketless pitas or prebaked individual-size pizza crusts
- 3 c shredded Italian cheese blend, or a mix of shredded mozzarella, provolone and Parmesan
- 1/2 c pickled sweet or hot cherry peppers
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
1. Preheat the broiler. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and frying pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef begins to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the parsley, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper and cook, stirring, 1 more minute.
2. Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil. Place the pitas on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle each with 1/4 c cheese. Top evenly with the beef mixture and the remaining 1 c cheese.
3. Broil the pizzas until the cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Top with the cherry peppers and cut each pizza into quarters.