Lentil and Ham Soup
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 boneless ham steak (about 3/4 pound), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 15 .5-ounce cans lentils (do not drain)
- 1/2 baguette, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/lentil-and-ham-soup.html?oc=linkback
Heat 3 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the celery, carrots, turnips and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they start browning, about 8 minutes. Add the flour and thyme; cook, stirring, until the flour is incorporated, about 2 minutes. Stir in 4 cups hot water until smooth.
Add the ham and the lentils with their liquid. Increase the heat to medium high and bring just to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium low so the soup is gently simmering. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the lentils are creamy, about 7 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the baguette cubes; sprinkle with the parsley and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 7 minutes. Serve the soup topped with the croutons.
Photograph by Christopher Testani
Recipe courtesy of Food Network Magazine
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/lentil-and-ham-soup.html?oc=linkback