FANTASTIC weeknight alternative to the traditional stuffed cabbage. GREAT taste, a new family favorite! Adapted From Family Circle Magazine!!
- 1 3/4 pounds ground beef(I used 85%)
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 can (28oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small head cabbage, shredded, about
- 8 cups
- Served with mashed potatoes
Heat a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add beef and cook for 6 minutes until no longer pink. Stir occasionally. Drain fat. Stir in onion and cook 4 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add tomatoes and paste. Using a potato masher, break up the tomatoes. Stir in 1 1/4 cups water, parsely, salt, oregano, sugar, and black pepper. Simmer 5 minutes.
Add half the cabbage and cook covered 5 minutes. Add the remaining cabbage and simmer, covereed, 90 minutes to 2 hours. Stir occasionally.
Serve with mashed potaoes. SO good!