- 5 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apples abt 4 apples
- 1 quince peeled, chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried plums - (4 oz)
- 1 cup chopped dried sliced persimmons - (4 oz)
- 1 cup dried sour cherries - (5 oz)
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons minced candied ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground cardamom
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 cups apple cider
- 1 cup Scotch
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
Combine the apples, quince, plums, persimmons, sour cherries, raisins, dates, ginger, nutmeg, cardamom, sugar, apple cider, Scotch, cinnamon and zest in a 5-quart saucepot. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally, then cover and simmer over low heat, 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
Remove the mincemeat from the heat and let cool to warm. Remove the cinnamon sticks. Place in a nonmetallic bowl or container, then cover and chill overnight.
This recipe yields about 6 cups for 20 to 24 servings.
Each of 24 servings: 155 calories; 5 mg. sodium; 0 cholesterol; 0 fat; 0 saturated fat; 38 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 2.97 grams fiber.