Lemony Lemon Bread
Switch the flavor from lemon to orange by substituting grated orange zest and juice. Or, add 1/4 cup finely ground toasted almonds in place of the poppy seeds.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbs. firmly packed grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds (optional)
Adapted from williams-sonoma.com
Preheat an oven to 350°F. Butter an 8-by-4-inch loaf pan, then dust with flour, tapping out the excess.
In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the sour cream, milk and lemon juice.
In the bowl of a stand mixer, using the paddle attachment, beat together the butter, sugar and lemon zest on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until fully incorporated. Again, scrape down the sides of the bowl. On low speed, add the flour mixture in 2 additions alternately with the sour cream mixture, beginning with the flour mixture and mixing just until incorporated. Add the poppy seeds, increase the speed to high and beat for 5 seconds to mix well.
Scoop the batter into the prepared pan. Bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Turn out onto a rack and let cool before serving. Makes 1 loaf.
You'll also love
- Buffalo Chicken Cheesy Penne 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Cauliflower Gratin 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Sous-Vide Chicken with Sun-Dried... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Strawberry Ice Cream 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Healthy Marbled Banana Bread 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Orange Sugar Danish Pastries 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Lemon Souffles (Martha Stewart) 4.5/5 (13 Votes)