Braised Red Cabbage With Fennel Seeds And Bacon
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 pounds shredded cored red cabbage about 16 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 slices bacon cut in quarters
Heat the oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook 1 minute. Stir in the cabbage, water, vinegar, sugar, fennel seeds and salt. Add the bacon.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, until very tender, about 2 hours. Check the cabbage periodically and stir. If the cabbage looks dry, add a bit more water. Adjust the seasoning.
Cool thoroughly, then refrigerate the cabbage overnight. Reheat over low heat before serving.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Each serving: 110 calories; 500 mg. sodium; 2 mg. cholesterol; 4 grams fat; 1 gram saturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 3 grams protein; 6.07 grams fiber.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Sour Cream & Bacon... 4.4/5 (345 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Bacon & Corn Chowder 4.5/5 (301 Votes)
- Fennel & Apple Salad with Roasted... 5/5 (2 Votes)
- Lobster Taquitos With Tomatillo... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Toffee Crisps 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spinach Zucchini Souffle 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corned Beef In Bourbon-Brown Sugar... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Seared Spiced Duck Breasts With... 0/5 (0 Votes)