Braised Red Cabbage And Cranberries With Juniper And Gin
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups thinly-sliced red cabbage - (1/2 head)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries slightly crushed
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- 12 juniper berries crushed
- 1/2 cup gin
- 1 tablespoon honey - (to 2) or to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Add the cabbage and cranberries, sprinkle liberally with salt and stir until completely coated with the butter.
Stir in the juniper berries and gin. Lower the heat, cover the pan and simmer, stirring often, until the cabbage is just tender, about 12 minutes.
Add honey to taste, leaving the cabbage fairly tart. Season with more salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.
Each serving: 144 calories; 56 mg. sodium; 16 mg. cholesterol; 6 grams fat; 4 grams saturated fat; 18 grams carbohydrates; 1 gram protein; 5.71 grams fiber.