Texas-Style Smoked Brisket
Try barbecue Texas-style, Texas is know for their beef brisket in a thin, spicy pan sauce made from the meat drippings, laced with jalapeños for a little zing. Look for a flat-cut brisket, which will be a fairly even thickness, and leave the fat layer on for the best results. Use a smokey beer for this recipe and then serve that same beer as the beverage of choice for the adults while chowing down.
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) can beer
- 1 (4.5-pound) flat-cut brisket, about 3-inches thick
- 8 hickory wood chunks, about 4-pounds
- 2 cups water
- cooking spray
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon pickled jalapeño liquid
Preparation time 60mins
Cooking time 490mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
To prepare brisket, combine brown sugar, smoked paprika, black pepper, salt, and onion powder. Place 2 tablespoons spice mixture in a blender. Set aside remaining spice mixture.
Remove 2 chiles and 2 tablespoons sauce from can of chiles in adobo sauce; add to blender. Reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Add 1 cup chopped onion, cider vinegar, beer, and Worcestershire sauce to blender; process until smooth. Combine brisket and chipotle mixture in a 2-gallon zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 24 hours, turning occasionally.
Soak wood chunks in water about 16 hours; drain. Remove brisket from bag, discarding marinade. Pat brisket dry, and rub with remaining sugar mixture. Let brisket stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
Remove grill rack; set aside. Prepare grill for indirect grilling, heating one side to medium-low and leaving one side with no heat. Maintain temperature of grill at 225°F.
Pierce bottom of a disposable aluminum foil pan several times with the tip of a knife. Place pan on heated side of grill; add half of wood chunks to pan. Place another disposable aluminum foil pan, do not pierce pan, on unheated side of grill. Pour 2 cups water in pan. Coat grill rack with cooking spray, and place on grill.
Place brisket on grill rack over foil pan on unheated side. Close lid; cook 3 1/2 hours or until a meat thermometer registers 170°F. Add additional wood chunks halfway during cooking time.
Preheat oven to 250°F.
Remove brisket from grill. Place sliced onion and jalapeño on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Top with brisket; seal tightly. Place foil-wrapped brisket in a large baking pan. Bake at 250°F for 1 1/2 hours or until thermometer registers 190°F. Remove from oven. Let stand, still wrapped, 1 hour. Unwrap brisket, reserving juices; trim and discard fat. Cut brisket across grain into thin slices.
To prepare sauce, finely chop sliced onion and jalapeño; set aside. Place brisket juices in a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure; let stand 10 minutes, so that fat will rise to the top. Seal bag; carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain 1/2 cup drippings into a saucepan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat and remaining drippings. Add onion, jalapeño, broth, and remaining ingredients to pan; cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Smoky brisket calls for a smoky beer. Although the Lone Star State makes some excellent brews any of which would pair well with Texas barbecue, try Germany's Aecht Schlenkerla Maerzen beer, which has an alluring aroma of bacon and smoked sausage from the use of smoked barley. Its full body and gentle malt sweetness balance the spicy sauce.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Mango Curry 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Spaghetti scented with orange 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Gingerbread Men S’mores 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken, Shrimp & Sausage Paella 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Grilled sirloin with golden... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Winter Fruit-Pasta Salad 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Sassy Tailgate Sandwiches 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Crockpot Chicken Adobo 4.5/5 (22 Votes)