POTATOES: SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH THREE CHEESES
Serves: 12 FROM WORD DOCS
- Serves: 12
- 3/4 cup (packed) grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup crumbled Danish blue cheese (about 4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup (packed) freshly grated Parmesan (about 1 1/4 ounces)
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp butter
1. Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly butter 13X9X2-inch glass baking dish. Mix cheddar cheese, blue cheese and Parmesan in small bowl.
2. Arrange half of potatoes in prepared baking dish, overlapping slightly. Sprinkle with ¾ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Sprinkle onion over, then four. Dot with 2 Tbsp butter. Sprinkle half of cheese mixture over. Top with remaining potatoes, ¾ tsp salt ¼ tsp pepper and 2 Tbsp butter. Reserve remaining cheese.
3. Bring milk to simmer in medium saucepan. Pour milk over potatoes (milk will not cover potatoes completely). Cover baking dish tightly with foil. Bake 45 minutes. Uncover dish (liquids in dish may look curdled); sprinkle potatoes with reserved cheese mixture. Bake uncovered until potatoes are tender and cheese is deep golden brown, about 45 minutes longer. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Cover and re-warm in 375F oven about 20 minutes). Remove from oven; let stand 15 minutes before serving.