Mac 'n' Cheese Bites
These Mac 'n' Cheese Bites will be the star of your next party, and there won't be any left. Creamy mac n' cheese baked in mini muffin tins.
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT:
- Cooking spray
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 small clove garlic, finely grated
- 1 cup mild Cheddar, shredded, about 3 ounces
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, about 3 ounces
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- Hot sauce, for serving, optional
- 2 or 3 mini muffin trays (for 36 muffins), mini muffin liners
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Position oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven, and preheat to 400°F. Line 2 or 3 mini muffin trays with liners, and coat the liners generously with cooking spray.
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni, and follow package directions for al dente. Drain the macaroni, and rinse in cold water until it is cool. Shake off any excess water.
Put the heavy cream, cream cheese, eggs, mustard, paprika and garlic in a large bowl. Beat on low speed with an electric mixer until combined (the mixture may have small lumps). Add the cooked macaroni, Cheddar and Monterey Jack, and stir until combined.
Drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the macaroni mixture into the prepared muffin liners. Combine the breadcrumbs and butter with your fingers in a small bowl until the mixture is the texture of wet sand. Sprinkle the top of each macaroni mound with buttered breadcrumbs.
Bake until the cheese is melted and the bites are golden brown, 25 to 30 minutes. Let cool for at least 5 minutes before serving hot or at room temperature. Serve with hot sauce on the side if desired.