Beef Patties with Stout Gravy
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared hot mustard
- 1 lb (500 g) medium ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) sodium-reduced beef broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) stout or water
- 1 pkg (10 oz/284 g) pearl onions, peeled
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen peas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
Preparation time 12mins
Cooking time 25mins
In bowl, whisk together egg, garlic, half of the Worcestershire sauce and 1 tsp (5 mL) of the mustard. Mix in beef. Shape into eight patties.
In skillet, heat oil over medium heat; fry patties, turning once, until digital thermometer inserted sideways into centre registers 160°F (71°C), about 10 minutes. Transfer to plate; cover and keep warm.
Whisk together broth, stout and remaining Worcestershire sauce and mustard; add to pan and bring to boil. Add onions and peas; simmer until onions are softened,3 to 5 minutes.
Mix cornstarch with 1 tbsp (15 mL) water; stir into pan. Return patties to skillet; simmer until gravy is thickened.
PER SERVING: about 394 cal, 26 g pro, 23 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 16 g carb, 2 g fibre, 114 mg chol, 390 mg sodium, 531 mg potassium. % RDI: 5% calcium, 24% iron, 9% vit A, 12% vit C, 18% folate. ■