cranberry orange rolls
(From King Arthur Flour bakers) We prefer SAF Gold instant yeast for our sweet breads and rolls, but use SAF Red if that's what you have on hand. Just be sure to allow extra time for rising.
If you don't have Fiori di Sicilia, substitute 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in the rolls, and 1/2 teaspoon in the glaze.
You can bake these rolls in a 9" square metal pan, reducing the bake time by about 5 minutes.
- 5 3/8 ounces lukewarm water
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 8 1/2 ounces King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 2 ounces soft unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia
- 2 teaspoons SAF Gold instant yeast
- 7/8 ounce sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 ounces Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
- 1 5/8 ounces potato flour
- 5 1/2 ounces cranberry orange spread
- 4 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 5 drops Fiori di Sicilia
- 1/2 to 1 ounce orange juice
Adapted from kingarthurflour.com
1) To make the rolls: Mix and knead all the ingredients together to make a soft, smooth dough.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise until nearly doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes.
3) Gently deflate the dough, and transfer it to a lightly greased work surface. Pat it into a 16" x 12" rectangle.
4) Spread the filling evenly over the dough.
5) Roll the dough into a log starting with a short edge; pinch the seam closed.
6) Cut the log into 9 slices.
7) Place the rolls into a lightly greased 9" square ceramic baker (or see "tips" below), cover, and let them rise until noticeably puffy, about 45 to 60 minutes.
8) Preheat the oven to 375°F.
9) Bake the rolls until they're brown around the edges and golden brown in the center, about 25 to 35 minutes; tent with foil if they appear to be browning too quickly.
10) To make the icing: Combine the sugar, Fiori, and enough orange juice to make a spreadable icing.
11) Let the rolls cool for 10 minutes, then spread with the icing and serve. Store any leftovers well-wrapped, at room temperature, for several days; freeze for longer storage.
Yield: 9 rolls.