Eric Ripert's Phyllo Wrapped Salmon with Roasted Mushroom Casserole
- The Salmon:
- 4 (5-ounce) salmon fillets, boneless and skinless
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 sheets phyllo dough
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- fine salt and ground white pepper to taste
- The Soy-Mustard Vinaigrette:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cut chives
- fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- The Mushroom Casserole:
- 1 pound mixed mushrooms such as cremini, chanterelles, porcini or morels
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small shallot minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Adapted from regisandkelly.go.com
For the Salmon:
1. Season the salmon fillets with salt and pepper on all sides. Brush the top of 1 sheet of phyllo with melted butter and fold the sheet in ½; brush the top with butter again. Place the salmon fillet on one side and roll it in the phyllo dough. Repeat 3 times and reserve.
2. Stir together in a mixing bowl the soy sauce, mustard, lime juice and olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and stir in the chives.
3. Divide the canola oil in between two non stick pans and heat over medium heat; add two fillets of salmon to each pan and sauté the salmon for about 4 minutes on each side, until golden brown and a metal skewer can be easily inserted into the fish and, when left in for 5 seconds, feels just warm when touched to the lip. Serve the salmon fillets with vinaigrette.
For the Mushroom Casserole:
1. To prepare the mushrooms, trim the ends and cut them in half depending on size.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Heat an oven proof cast iron casserole over medium heat with the canola oil. Add the minced shallot and garlic and lightly sauté until soft. Add the prepared mushrooms and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the butter and roast the mushrooms until tender and lightly browned about 10-15 minutes.
4. Remove the casserole form the oven; place the pan on medium high heat and add the chicken stock. Reduce the chicken stock enough to glaze the mushrooms; add the herbs to the mushrooms and adjust the seasoning.
Serve the Salmon over the Mushroom Casserole and enjoy!