Ragù of Short Ribs With Fettuccini & Pecorino Romano
- Classic Short Ribs recipe, prepared through step 3 (found under 'Beef')
- 3 tablespoons salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 1/2 pounds fettuccini or pappardelle
- 3-4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
Adapted from wsj.com
Once short ribs are cool enough to handle, remove from pot. Remove meat from bones, and shred into small pieces. Set aside. Meanwhile, bring another large pot of water and 3 tablespoons salt to a boil over high heat.
Skim excess fat off top of short rib cooking liquid. Decrease heat to low and continue to cook, occasionally skimming fat off top, until a light gravy-like consistency is reached. This step may not be necessary or may take up to 20 minutes. If initially too thick, add stock or water. If too thin, increase heat and reduce liquid.
Return shredded meat to casserole, and simmer until meat is heated throughout, 5-10 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and a bit of balsamic vinegar, if desired.
Cook pasta in boiling water until al dente. Drain pasta, return to pot and stir in ragù. Divide among hot plates and garnish with parsley. Pass cheese separately.