8-Layer Chicken Chili Dip
Grab a plate, scoop and then dip. The work of layering pays off with this delicious (and beautiful) Tex-Mex inspired crowd pleaser. Make this dip the day before and refrigerate to save time on game day.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and stems, roughly chopped
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 cup corn, frozen and thawed
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled cornbread
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cheddar, shredded
- tortilla or corn chips for dipping
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 105mins
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add half of the onion and the garlic and cook, stirring, until soft and just begins to brown, about 4 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the cayenne pepper. Cook, stirring, until the oil is brick red, about 2 minutes.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Cook until thickened slightly, about 3 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken and stir until just warmed through, remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
Whisk together the sour cream, cilantro, lime juice and zest in a small bowl. Toss together the corn and pepper in another small bowl.
Layer the dip in a medium, straight-sided 3-quart glass trifle bowl or your favorite serving dish. Spread the cornbread on the bottom, then top, in even layers, with the tomatoes, beans, cheese, cilantro-lime sour cream, chicken chili, the remaining chopped onions and the corn-pepper mixture.
Wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour or overnight. Serve with chips for dipping.