Chicken with Mushrooms (crockpot)
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast filets (about 3 filets), skinless
- 2 tablespoons oil, I used canola
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat free
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
Add oil to a skillet or slow cooker, if using a Stovetop Slow Cooker, turn to medium-high heat and sear chicken on both sides just until brown, remove and place on a paper towel. Reduce heat to medium-low, add onion to the same skillet, and saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
Add chicken, onion and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until chicken is done and easily flakes with a fork. Note: Mushrooms, onion and garlic go on top of chicken.
Remove chicken from slow cooker and set aside. Add cornstarch to slow cooker and whisk until smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and continue cooking until gravy is thick, about 15 minutes.
TIP: One of our readers made this suggestion: when you add the onion to the skillet, pour in about a 1/4 cup broth to deglaze the pan and pick up all the bits on the bottom of the pan from the chicken and then add to the slow cooker.
Serving suggestions: Serve over brown rice or whole wheat pasta.