"A quick, easy dinner for 8, cooked in 30 minutes and in one skillet. Golden-brown pieces of chicken and crisp-tender chunks of vegetables are deliciously seasoned with a light soy-sherry sauce."--Family Circle (31 May 1983)
- 1 broiler-fryer (3 lbs.), cut in 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 lb. asparagus spears
- OR: 1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen asparagus spears
- 2 medium-size zucchini (about 3/4 lb.)
- 2 yellow squash (about 3/4 lb.)
- 2 medium-size sweet red peppers
- 1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp. dry sherry
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
Cooking time 30mins
1. Shake chicken in plastic bag with flour, ginger, salt and pepper until coated.
2. Fry chicken in oil in large skillet, turning frequently, about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add garlic and chicken broth to skillet. Cover; simmer 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, trim, peel and cut asparagus into 1-inch pieces. (If using frozen, just cut into 1-inch pieces.) Cut zucchini and yellow squash into 1-inch chunks. Halve and seed peppers; cut into 1-inch pieces.
4. Add asparagus, zucchini, squash, red pepper and mushrooms to skillet. Add soy sauce, sherry and ginger. Stir gently to mix. Cover; simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender.