Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers
For a healthy and filling meal, these stuffed bell peppers make a great main dish. Filled with ground turkey, corn, onion, and baked in salsa.
- 3 large red bell peppers
- 1 pound lean, ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce or (12-ounce) jar of your favorite clean salsa
- 3 tablespoons cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from thegraciouspantry.com
Cut the tops off your bell peppers, remove the stems and chop up the lids. Set aside.
Sauté the onions first with the coconut oil, then add the turkey in a skillet and cook until just browned. Add the spices, chopped pepper tops and corn and continue cooking until the meat is finished. Don’t overcook it as it still needs to bake in the oven.
Stuff the peppers tightly with the meat filling.
In a small casserole dish, pour the tomato sauce into the bottom of the dish, then place your peppers upright. The casserole dish should be small enough to fit the peppers tightly so they stand upright for baking.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon. cheese onto of each pepper, then place the baking dish in the oven.
Bake at 350°F for approximately 30 minutes. These taste best if the peppers are not overcooked.
They should still be slightly firm when done.
Cut pepper in half, sprinkle with fresh, chopped cilantro and serve.
You'll also love
- White Bean Spread 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- SPICY CHEDDAR POPCORN 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Corn and Crab Chowder 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Picadillo Poppers 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Turkey and Vegetable Stuffed Bell... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Pistachio-Crusted Sea Bass with... 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Individual Spooky White Pizzas 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Tomato-Baby Bell Pepper Tartlets 4.6/5 (7 Votes)