Beer & Pretzel Caramels
Beer and pretzels are a winning combination, especially when they are ingredients in sweet caramel candy! Score big with this new take on salted caramels.
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle brown ale
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more to butter the baking dish
- 1 1/4 cups dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups thin pretzels, coarsely crushed
- Pour the beer into a glass; let sit until flat, about 1 hour.
Preparation time 55mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Butter an 8-inch-square baking dish. Set aside.
Bring half of the beer to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until reduced to 2 teaspoons, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine remaining beer, brown sugar, corn syrup, cream and butter in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer registers 235°F, 10 to 12 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in beer syrup and pretzels.
Spread in the prepared dish and chill until firm, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Cut into pieces.