Traditional Mediterranean Dish as a meal side, luncheon or snack, very well suited for Tailgating and Travel, kept chilled before serving.
- 2 cups Cracked Wheat Bulgur
- 2-3 Cucumbers, small size, Kirby cucumbers with thinner skins, seeded if desired, then chopped
- 2-3 small Tomatoes, seeded, if desired, chopped then drained to remove excess liquid
- 4 Thin Scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Fresh Mint, chopped
- Juice of 2-2 1/2 Lemons, seeded and strained
- 1/8 cup Olive Oil, or a bit more
- a few pinches coarse kosher salt, more to taste
- a good pinch cracked black pepper
Adapted from spicedpeachblog.com
Rinse cracked wheat, bulgur, using a fork then lightly spread across a wide shallow pan. Gently stir in boiling water separating the grains and immediately cover with a tight fitting lid and let sit covered for an hour. Meanwhile prepare vegetable and herb ingredients and juice lemons. When bulgur is cooled, gently stir in ingredients one at a time. Stir in lemon juice, then olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until serving, taste and adjust seasoning, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
The day before the event separately prep the tomatoes, scallions, cucumbers, mint, parsley and lemon juice into separate containers. Spread cooked bulgur across a long glass dish or plastic container gently forking so that all of the grains are separated then gently stir through only 1 Tablespoon olive oil and refrigerate covered until travel time.