Quinoa-Nectarine Gazpacho with Crispy Spiced Tortilla Strips
- Crispy-Spice Tortilla Strips:
- 1/3 cup quinoa
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups coarsely chopped nectarines or peeled peaches (about 4 medium)
- 1 small ripe avocado, halved, seeded, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cucumber*
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion or green onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh mint and/or cilantro
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper**, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 12 ounce bottle ginger beer
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- Mexican crema or sour cream (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 7 inches flour tortillas
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from bhg.com
In a colander rinse quinoa well; drain. In a small saucepan bring water and salt to boiling. Stir in quinoa. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and discard any excess water; set quinoa aside to cool.
Place nectarines in a large bowl. If desired, mash some of the pieces slightly with a potato masher. Gently stir in cooled quinoa, the avocado, cucumber, lime juice, onion, cilantro, and jalapeno. Cover and chill for 30 minutes to 6 hours.
To serve, stir ginger beer and pineapple juice into nectarine mixture. Ladle soup into bowls. If desired, top with crema. Garnish with Crispy-Spice Tortilla Strips.
Crispy-Spice Tortilla Strips Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl combine oil, chili powder, and cinnamon. Brush oil mixture evenly over tortillas. Sprinkle with salt to taste. Roll up each tortilla and slice crosswise into long thin strips. If desired, cut strips in half. Spread strips on a baking sheet. Bake about 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack. Use immediately or store in a covered container at room temperature for up to 3 days.