- 4 1/4 - 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, margarine, or shortening
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
1. In a large mixing bowl stir together 2 cups of the flour and the yeast. In a medium saucepan heat and stir milk, sugar, butter, and salt just until warm (120 degree F to 130 degree F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat with a stand mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping sides of bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes. Stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
2. Add enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth and elastic (6 to 8 minutes total). Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl; turn once. Cover; let rise in a warm place until double (about 1 hour).
3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Cut into 16 equal pieces. Shape the dough pieces into balls and place in buttered casserole. Dab soft butter onto tops of rolls. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
5. Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden.