Asian Style Orzo
Add in a bit more soy sauce or Tabasco to taste just before serving.
- For the Salad:
- 1 pound box Orzo, San Giorgio
- 4 scallions, thinly chopped
- 1/4 cup sno peas, strings removed, blanched about 45 seconds in boiling water until bright green, refreshed in ice water, cut diagonally into small pieces
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots, blanched in boiling water, refreshed in ice water
- 1 small red pepper, seeded, very thinly sliced into matchsticks,cut in half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce, approximately
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 5-7 shakes of Tabasco brand hot sauce, or to taste
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from spicedpeachblog.com
Prep all vegetables and set aside. Cook orzo in salted boiling water, stirring frequently until al dente around ten minutes, drain, rinse.
Immediately transfer cooked orzo to a long, wide dish, fluff and separate with a fork, stir through 1 tablespoon oil until all of the pasta has separated and is not sticking together. Let cool. In a small mixing bowl whisk together the soy sauce and sesame oil,add vegetable oil, whisk, add Tabasco,whisking until thickened. Taste. Add a bit more soy sauce or hot sauce to taste. Gently stir vegetables into orzo. Add sauce a little at a time until well incorporated into the orzo. Dressed orzo will absorb into pasta, if preparing in advance, reserve some of sauce to freshen dish before serving.