10-Alarm Turkey Chili
- 1 lb raw lean ground turkey
- 1 29oz can tomato sauce
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 15oz can chili beans (pinto beans in chili sauce), undrained
- 1 15oz can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup canned sweet corn, drained
- 4-5 canned chipolte peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, sauce reserved
- 2 bell peppers (in diffrent colors), chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 oz VERY dark chocolate (70% + cacao), broken into small pieces
- salt to taste.
- Optional topping: fat-free sour cream
Bring a large pan sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat on stove. Add turkey and spread it around in the pan to break it up a bit. Cook and crumble until meat is brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain any fat or liquid, and then transfer turkey to crock pot.
Add all other ingredients except for the chocolate to the crock pot. Add 1 tbsp. adobo sauce (from the canned chipoltes). Mix well to combine.
Cover and cook on high for 2hrs, and then reduce heat to low and cook for an additional 3hrs. ( or cover and cook on low for 6-7hrs straight).
Add chocolate and stir until pieces melt and disappear into chili. Cover and cook for 1hr longer on low. Add salt to taste. If you like, top each serving with a little sour cream.