Florentine Penne with Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds chicken thighs or breast tenders, diced
- salt & pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 pound mushrooms, cremini or button, sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 rounded tablespoons flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups whole milk
- a few grates fresh nutmeg
- 16 oz chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung dry
- 1 pound penne or mostaccioli rigate
- grated parmigiano-regginao cheese
Heal olive oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown then remove to plate. Add butter to pan and melt, add muschrooms and lightly brown, 5-6 minutes.
Add onions and garlic, and season with salt & pepper. Reduce heat a bit and cook to soften onions, 5-6 minutes more. Add flour and stir 1 minute.
Add wine and reduce by half. Add stock and mild, and thicken to coat a spoon. Season with nutmeg and stir in spinach to heat through.
Stir a handful of cheese into sauce. Add chicken to sauce to heat it through. Bring a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt water and cook pasta, drain and toss with sauce and chicken.