CHILI with a bit of bite
- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into hlf-inch cubes
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- Flour for coating meat
- 2 sweet yellow onions chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 6 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp red chili-pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp oregano flakes
- 1 Tbsp dried jalapeno, ground or flakes ????? says Richard????
- 6 beef bullion cubes dissolved in cup of hot water
- 1 (28) oz can diced tomato
- 1 (6e)oz can tomato paste
- 28 oz water
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn flour mixed with water into a paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
Dredge stewing beef in flour and brown all meat in large frying pan with oil. Sprinkle one half of the chili powder, cumin, oregano, pepper flakes and jalapeno powder over browning meat.
In large Dutch oven or soup pot, add diced tomato, tomato paste, bullion, water cider, sugar and remainder of spices.
Bring to boil then reduce heat to low.
Saute onions and garlic until soft and translucent and add to soup pot.
Add spiced meat to pot.
Cook on medium heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Turn to simmer and cook for minimum of two hours.
Stir chili frequently so meat doesn’t stick to bottom of pot and burn.
Add corn flour and water mixture to chili during the last 30 minutes if chili needs thickening.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
IMPORTANT: Stir pot especially during last half hour so flour doesn’t stick to bottom of pan.
Serve with bowls of heated beans, cheese, chopped green and red peppers, sour cream and flour tortillas.