Perfect Pâte Brisée Tart Dough
I used this dough to make Meyer Lemon Tartlets and loved it so much, that I wanted to save the recipe as a "stand alone". I'm not a big fan of American pie crusts, but I do love a good shortbread and buttery tart crust. This one turned out to be very tender, and I loved the lemon zest. Baked and filled with homemade lemon curd and topped with browned meringue, these were amazing! Recipe from Martha Stewart.
- FOR AN 8 OR 9-INCH TART PAN:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon finely grated Meyer lemon zest (optional)
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- FOR 6 TARTLET PANS:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Meyer lemon zest, finely grated (optional)
- 1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Preparation time 85mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from afeastfortheeyes.net
I used six non-stick tartlet pans, so I added 50% more ingredients. Otherwise, this should be enough dough for an 8-inch tart pan.
Whisk together flour, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and the lemon zest in a large bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or your fingers until dough begins to hold together.
Note: I used my food processor, and pulsed the dough until it resembled coarse crumbs. Stir together 1 tablespoon water and vanilla, then mix into dough.
Note: I used the food processor, and pulse this until the dough just started to come together. Shape dough into a disk, and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Using your fingers, press dough evenly into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
Note: I used a rolling pin to individual cut the dough to fit into each tartlet pan.
Dock each tartlet (with a fork) or tart, to prevent too much puffing of the dough while baking.
Freeze for 30 minutes, to prevent shrinkage of the dough.
Bake tart shell until golden, about 25 minutes. Let cool completely.
You'll also love
- Lazy Day Cabbage Roll Casserole 3.9/5 (30 Votes)
- Turkey Lasagna 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- White Chocolate with Candied... 4.7/5 (12 Votes)
- Old Timey Southern Tea Cakes 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Paleo Pie Crust 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Maple-Banana Tart (Tarte Tatin) 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Perfect Pie Crust (from Ina Garten) 4.2/5 (40 Votes)