Cheesy Potato Chard Bake
This casserole of potatoes, chard and two cheeses is a great vegetarian main course option. It’s deliciously rich so it’s very filling and, best of all, you can easily double or treble the ingredients to feed a crowd. Add a green salad, tomato salad or some grilled asparagus to round out the meal.
- 3 1/2 oz or 100g (without the hard stems) Swiss chard or other local greens - Kale also works great!
- 1 lb 6 oz or 635g new potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 1/2 About 4 1/2 oz or 125g feta (I like to use sheep's milk feta for stronger flavor.)
- 4 1/2 About 4 1/2 oz or 125g fresh mozzarella
- Olive oil
- Black pepper – freshly ground
- Cayenne pepper or paprika- optional
Adapted from foodlustpeoplelove.com
Preheat your oven to 350°F or 180°C.
Cut the new potatoes into chunks and chop your garlic. (If you can't find new potatoes, by all means, use regular ones but peel them first.)
Wash your Swiss chard or other greens really well and cut out and discard any hard middle stems. Chop the leaves roughly.
Slice the mozzarella and crumble the feta. Set aside.
In an ovenproof pan that is big enough to hold all of the potatoes, sauté the garlic with a good drizzle of olive oil. Add the potato chunks into the garlic pan and cook for a few minutes, stirring them around so they are coated with the olive oil. Drizzle in a little more olive oil, if the pan is too dry.
Add the Swiss chard, cover the pot and allow the chard to wilt.
Sprinkle everything with some generous grinds of fresh black pepper and stir the pot so that the chard and potatoes are evenly distributed.
Top with the crumbled feta and sliced mozzarella.
Sprinkle with a little bit of cayenne or paprika for color, if desired. Drizzle with olive oil.
Bake, uncovered, in your preheated oven until the potatoes are tender and the cheesy top is golden and bubbling
You'll also love
- Berry Crisp Spiral Ham 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Chicken, Mushroom and Bacon Pie 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic Clove Chicken 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Chipotle Cheddar Soup 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Spinach bacon mac n cheese 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Kale and Chorizo Soup 4.3/5 (13 Votes)
- Swiss chard, leek, panchetta and... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)
- Chard with Sherry Vinegar and... 4.4/5 (5 Votes)