Healthy Marbled Banana Bread
Save your ripe bananas for this healthy marbled bread, it's just over 200 calories per slice and made with half whole-wheat flour. A small amount of melted chocolate swirled in assures chocolate in every bite.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 medium very ripe bananas
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 135mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly mist a 9-bX-5-inch metal loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray and dust well with all-purpose flour to cover the pan completely, tapping out the excess.
Put the chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring, until melted and smooth, 1 minute to 1 minute 30 seconds. Set aside to cool slightly while preparing the batter.
Combine the bananas and sugar in a large bowl and mash with a potato masher or fork until mostly smooth with just a few small pieces of banana left. Add the oil and eggs and stir until combined. Using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, mix in both flours, the baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
Stir 1 cup batter into the melted chocolate. Fill the loaf pan with half the banana batter and then half the chocolate batter. Repeat the layers and gently swirl together using a spoon or knife. Bake until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Cool in the pan 15 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Cook's Note: To prepare your loaf pan for baking, you can also use a nonstick spray with flour already in it. Flouring the pan helps the bread rise well and prevents any collapse after it comes out of the oven.
You'll also love
- White Bean Burgers with Spinach 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Better Than Pumpkin Pie 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Zucchini-Walnut Bundt Cake with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Pineapple Casserole 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Raspberry Brie Dessert Pizza with... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Feel-Good, Hearty Granola Bars 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Caramelized Banana Sandwich 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Potato lángos: Hungarian fried... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)