Tempura-Fried Green Beans with Mustard Dipping Sauce
- 4 egg whites
- 3 cups flour
- 2 3/4 cups club soda
- 6 cups canola oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed
- Kosher salt
1. In a large bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form. Whisk in flour and club soda. Place batter in the refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Pour oil into a large pot so that it is at least a few inches deep. Heat to 350 degrees over a medium flame.
3. Mw=eanwhile, combine the mustard, honey and soy and hot sauces in a small saucepan and set over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until warm and thick, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
4. Dip the trimmed beans into the batter, letting the excess run off. ( A slotted spoon or spider is useful here.) Carefully lower them into the hot oil in small batches, so that they do not stick together. Fry until the batter is golden brown and the beans are bright green, about 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper-lined plate. Season with salt. Repeat until the beans are finished. Serve with a bowl of dipping sauce.