Sherry Cream Shrimp
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound sliced white mushrooms
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup sherry
- 3/4 cup cream
- A few grates fresh nutmeg or a pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon EVOO or canola oil
- 20 large or jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined, with tails on
- Juice of 1 small lemon (3 tbsp.)
- 4 slices good-quality white bread-toasted, buttered and halved corner to corner
- A small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Adapted from rachaelraymag.com
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring, until slightly browned, 5 to 6 minutes. Add the shallot and garlic, season with salt and pepper and stir until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the flour until well incorporated. Stir in the sherry, and then the cream. When the sauce bubbles, reduce the heat to low and simmer until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add the nutmeg and season. Stir in the tarragon.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, one turn of the pan, over medium-high. When the oil ripples and starts to smoke, add the shrimp and toss until they're just opaque in the centers, about 4 minutes. Season, stir in the lemon juice and add the shrimp mixture to the pan with the mushroom sauce.
Place the toast points on dinner plates. Top with the shrimp and mushroom sauce. Garnish with the parsley.