Creamy Slow Cooker Polenta with Sauteed Mushrooms
Wild mushrooms provide more flavor and also tend to be more expensive.
- 2 cups polenta or coarse cornmeal
- 7 1/2 cups very hot or boiling water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds portabello or mixed wild mushrooms, depending on preference, sliced (see ingredient note)
- 4 teaspoons chopped thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
Lightly grease slow cooker insert. Add polenta, water, oil and salt to insert and whisk thoroughly to combine. Cook on high for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until most of water is absorbed.
Add Parmesan and stir until incorporated and creamy. Set slow cooker to keep warm setting until ready to serve. Stir just before serving.
Add oil and butter to very large pan or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and saute for about 5 minutes. Add thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Continue sauteing until mushrooms have started to release their juices, about 5 minutes.
Add wine and scrape bottom of pan to deglaze. Cook for 2 more minutes, taste for seasoning and adjust to preference.
Ladle mushrooms over polenta and serve immediately.