Greek Yogurt & Olive Oil Orange Poppy Seed Pound Cake
This cake is light, moist, and bursting with vibrant orange flavor. There are a good handful of poppy seeds to add a pretty color contrast to the interior, as well as a pleasant crunch.
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup full-fat greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large organic orange, zested and juiced; divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Adapted from bakerbynature.com
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt.
Pour the sugar into a separate medium-sized mixing bowl and grate all the zest from the orange over top the bowl so it falls on the sugar. Rub the zest into the sugar until the sugar is bright orange and fragrant. Slice the orange in half and squeeze its liquid into a glass measuring cup. Set aside.
In a large bowl whisk together the yogurt, eggs and vanilla. Add 1/2 of the orange juice, and stir to combine. Stir in sugar.
Gently whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ones, stirring just until incorporated. Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the oil, stirring until you're sure it’s all incorporated.
Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.
While the cake is baking, make your glaze! Simply whisk together the remaining orange juice and the powdered sugar till smooth.
Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove from the pan using the sides of the parchment paper. Place cake on a large sheet of parchment paper, then pour glaze over the top, letting it run down the sides.
You'll also love
- Beef and Vegetable Samosas 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Zucchini, Squash and Corn Casserole 4.4/5 (17 Votes)
- Corn Muffins 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- No-bake Chocolate-Raspberry... 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Blueberry-Greek Yogurt Scones 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Tequila & Lime Turkey Chili 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Juicer Orange Pulp Scones 4/5 (43 Votes)
- Olive Oil, Garlic, and Peperoncini... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)