southwest corn chowder
- 3 carrots roughly chopped
- 3 celery ribs roughly chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion roughly chopped
- 1 head of fresh garlic cut in half
- 1 small leek cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 packet of herbs (thyme, parsley, bay leaf, 10 black peppercorns)
- 3 ears of fresh corn
- cover with cold water in a 10-12qt. stockpot and simmer for two hours
- 1/2 onion small diced
- 2 roasted red bell peppers, peeled and diced
- 4 =5 medium sized russet potatoes, medium diced
- 10 pieces of bacon, 5 diced, 5cooked crispy and crumbled
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- 1 can Rotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 large can of creamed corn, plus corn from cobs, plus 1 small bag of frozen corn
- 1 T chez Robert's southwest spice
- 1/2 c of a.p. flour
- 3 c of whole milk
.Make stock, and strain out ingredients, remove corn from the cob and reserve.
. Saute diced bacon and onion and southwest spice together.
. combine all the other ingredients and the stock and simmer together for one hour.
Garnish with crumbled bacon, other possible garnishes; fresh lime, sour cream and green onion, sour cream, cilantro, chili