You don’t need to cross the border to enjoy a scrumptious breakfast taco! This healthy take on a classic is filled with savory seasoned turkey, bell peppers, and of course, chili!
Exchanges per Serving: 1 Carb, 2 Protein, 0 Fat
- ◾10 oz / 280 g extra-lean ground/mince turkey, organic pastured preferred
- ◾1 Tbsp. / 14 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- ◾8 small sprouted whole grain (SWG) or 100% whole corn tortillas
- ◾3/4 cup / 110 gm red bell pepper, chopped
- ◾1/2 cup / 80 gm onion, chopped
- ◾4 oz. / 110 gm green chilis, diced
- ◾1 tsp. / 4 g all-natural bacon salt or smoked paprika
- ◾4 oz / 225 gm organic/grass-fed cheese, shredded
- ◾1/2 cup / 120 ml organic/grass- or pasture-raised milk
- ◾4 omega-3 or grass- or pasture-raised eggs
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from trimdownclub.com
Heat the oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Add in the onion, and sauté until translucent. Add in the ground/mince turkey, and sauté until cooked through. In another bowl, beat eggs together with the ground black pepper, bacon salt or smoked paprika, cheese, and milk. Pour in the egg mixture, along with the bell pepper and diced green chili. Cover and cook for another 10-15 minutes.
For optimal flavor and texture, cook the combined mixture in a slow cooker fit with a liner, set on low, for about 5 hours.
Scoop mounds of the mixture onto tostada shells and serve garnished with salsa (½ cup / 130 gm = 1 carb serving) and organic soy or Greek yogurt (¾ cup / 180 ml = 1 protein serving), if desired.