Creamy Corn Soup
Creamy Corn Soup with Queso Fresco and Cilantro
Servings: 6 • Size: about 1 1/4 cups • Old Points: 5 pts • Weight Watcher Points+: 7 pt
Calories: 257 • Fat: 8 g • Carb: 36 g • Fiber: 3 g • Protein: 14 g • Sugar: 14 g
Sodium: 474 mg • Cholest: 22 mg
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped scallions
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups fresh corn kernels, cut from the cob (from 5-6 medium)
- 1 (6 oz) russet potato, peeled and diced
- 5 cups 1% milk
- 1 chicken bouillon cube (or Vegetable Better than Bouillon)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 cup reduced fat sour cream
- salt and fresh pepper, to taste
- 3 oz (6 tbsp) crumbled queso fresco (or cotija cheese)
- Can add shrimp*
Heat a medium heavy pot or Dutch oven on medium heat. Add oil and sauté scallions and garlic for 1 minute. Add the corn, potatoes, milk, bouillon, and 1 tablespoon of cilantro in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for approximately 30 to 35 minutes or until the corn is tender, stirring occasionally.
Remove from heat and reserve 6 tablespoons of the corn kernels for topping. Add sour cream to the soup and purée in the blender in two batches, careful not to burn yourself; return to the pot.
Adjust salt and pepper, to taste and heat over low heat 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour into 6 bowls and garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon each of corn kernels and cheese. Top with fresh cilantro.
Makes 7 1/2 cups.