Hillbilly Onion and Pepper Smothered Round Steak
- 2 1/4 pounds thin top round steak, sliced into strips about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Essence, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided
- 6 cups sliced onions
- 2 cups sliced red and green bell peppers
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley leaves
- White rice, for serving, optional
Combine the meat with and flour in a mixing bowl and toss to combine.
Heat the oil in a large cast iron Dutch oven or high-sided skillet over medium-high heat and brown the meat, in batches, until browned on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Add 2 cups of the chicken broth and stir, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan to loosen any browned particles. Add the onions, bell peppers, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are wilted. Reduce the heat to medium. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add the remaining cup of broth and continue to cook, uncovered, for about 1 hour longer, or until the meat is very tender and the gravy is thickened and flavorful. Add the parsley and serve immediately over white rice, if using.
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme
Combine all ingredients thoroughly.