Basic Roasted Poblano Chile and Cheese Tamale Filling
- 1 1/2 pounds poblano chiles (4 to 6)
- Kosher salt to taste
- 18 ounces Oaxaca or Monterey jack cheese
1. Char chiles on a gas burner or broil in the oven, turning often, until blackened all over, about 10 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover, and let steam 20 minutes.
2. Using a paper towel, peel blistered skin off chiles. Stem and seed chiles, then slice into 1/2-in. strips lengthwise. Halve any pieces longer than about 3 in. Season with salt.
3. Pull Oaxaca cheese apart into pieces about 1/2 in. wide and 3 in. long. If using Monterey jack, cut into 1/2- by 3-in. sticks.
Make ahead: Up to 2 days, char and peel chiles and prep cheese; keep chilled.