Another recipe that from the Apple Barn in Pigeon Forge. TN. These yummy treats are served with their "homestyle" meals and are good enough to be a meal all their own.
- 1 C milk
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 4 TBS. margarine
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 orange, rind and juice
- 1 C apples (chopped but not too fine)
- 3 C cake flour 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla
1. Beat egg. In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, egg, sugar and melted margarine. Add the orange juice, rind, chopped apples (skins can be left on) and vanilla.
2. Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder. Stir into milk mixture with a spoon until blended. Do not over mix.
3. Preheat oil in a skillet to 350. Drop off end of tablespoon into hot oil. Fry to golden brown. Turn so they brown evenly. Allow to cool.