Spicy Peanut Chicken over Rice
This makes enough to freeze left-overs, which keep for up to a month. You can increase the crushed red pepper, if you like; a dollop of yogurt on top balances the spiciness.
- 1 Tbsp. peanut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic (about 4 cloves)
- 2 1/2 lbs. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 in. pieces
- 1/3 cup chunky peanut butter
- 1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (6 oz.) can tomato paste
- 3 cups chopped plum tomato (about 6 tomatoes)
- 2 (14 oz.) cans chicken broth
- 8 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup Greek-style yogurt (such as Fage)
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or untl tender, stirring frequently. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes or until chicken is done, stirring frequently. Stir in peanut butter, curry powder, salt, red pepper, black pepper, and tomato paste; cook 1 minute.
Add tomato and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve chicken mixture over rice; top each serving with yogurt.