vegan stuffed shells
- for the shells:
- vegan “ricotta”: (can be made ahead)
- 1.5 cups cashews, soak overnight & drain
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ume vinegar (or sub more lemon + salt)
- 1/4 cup water (just enough to get the blade going)
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup finely chopped raw kale (or spinach)
- handful of chopped chives and/or other fresh herbs
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 16 jumbo shells
- a few cups of marinara sauce
- drizzle of olive oil
- (very optional) - top with grated parmesan or pecorino cheese
Preheat oven to 350.
In a blender or food processor, puree together the cashews, garlic, vinegar, and lemon juice. Add only enough water to help the blade along. Taste and add salt & pepper to your liking.
Scoop cashew cream into a medium bowl and add the crumbled tofu, oregano, red pepper flakes, kale, chives, and another few pinches of salt & pepper. Stir & taste.
Cook your shells in salty water until al dente.
Prepare a baking dish with a good slathering of marinara at the bottom.
Scoop a few tablespoons of filling into each shell, place them into the baking dish. Top each with a generous spoonful of marinara and a drizzle of olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes.