Cheesy Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash
I wouldn't change a thing about this recipe, it is delicious and one of our go-tos for the Fall and Winter months! The only thing that I do differently is roast the squash in the oven instead of using the microwave, so yummy!
- 2 small acorn squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4-ounces), plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for topping
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Position a rack in the upper third of the oven; preheat to 425°F.
Put the squash, cut-side up, in a large microwave-safe dish with 1 tablespoon water; dot with 1 tablespoon butter and season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap and pierce with a knife to vent. Microwave until tender, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Add the flour and cook, stirring, 3 minutes. Whisk in the milk until smooth, then bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Add the cheese, stirring to melt. Add the nutmeg, 3/4 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir in the rice and spinach.
Transfer the squash to a rimmed baking sheet and fill with the rice mixture. Sprinkle with more cheese and bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Top with parsley.