CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPE
- 4 quarts (16 cups) water approx. (enough to cover chicken)
- 1 4 lb. (approx.) whole chicken
- 3-4 stalks celery; rough chopped
- 1 large sweet onion; diced
- 1 teaspoon pepper – divided
- 1 teaspoon salt – divided
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley – divided
- 3 cups long grain white rice
Adapted from shewearsmanyhats.com
In a large stock pot bring water, chicken, celery, onion, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt, oregano, celery salt, 1 teaspoon parsley to boil, cover and reduce to a simmer for at least an hour (2-3 hours would be preferable).
Once simmering is complete, remove chicken to cool in order to debone. Let broth continue to simmer and reduce.
When cool enough to handle, debone chicken.
Remove all broth from pot (or use another pot) and put approximately 6 cups broth back into pot along with the rice, chicken, remaining pepper, salt and parsley. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes stir in another cup of broth. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Continue to add broth, stir, cover and simmer for 5 minutes at a time until rice is done.
Salt and pepper to taste.