Bagel Lox Strata
Love bagels with cream cheese and lox? Now you can enjoy the flavors in this breakfast casserole that you make ahead and pop in the oven about an hour before serving.
- 4 plain bagels, cut into bite-size pieces, about 8 cups
- 2 (3-ounce) packages packages cream cheese, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (3-ounce) package package thinly sliced smoked salmon (lox-style), cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped finely
- 4 teaspoons dried chives
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh dill or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 70mins
Adapted from bhg.com
Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Arrange half of the bagel pieces in the prepared baking dish. Top with cream cheese, salmon, onion, and chives. Arrange the remaining bagel pieces over salmon mixture.
In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, cottage cheese, dill, and pepper. Pour evenly over ingredients in dish. Press lightly with a rubber spatula or the back of a large spoon to moisten all of the bagels. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 4 to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake, uncovered, for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean and the edges are puffed and golden. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.