Ojai Roast Turkey With Rosemary, Lemon, and Garlic
I've tried several different turkey recipes, and this is by far the best - crispy, juicy, and lightly flavored.
- 1 Turkey, fresh (14-23 lbs)
- 8 fresh rosemary sprigs (each 6"-8" long), rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 onion (8 oz), peeled and cut into 1" chunks
- 2 lemons (5 oz each), rinsed and cut into 1" chunks
- 1/3 cup olive oil or melted butter
- 3 TBS chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 TBS shredded lemon peel
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Kosher salt
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Remove and discard leg truss from turkey. Pull off and discard any lumps of fat. Remove giblets and neck and save for gravy. Rinse turkey inside and out. Pat dry.
2. Fill body cavity loosely with rosemary sprigs, garlic, onion, and lemons. If they don't all fit, tuck remaining into neck cavity. Fold skin flap under to hold in place.
3. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, chopped rosemary, lemon peel, and pepper. Rub mixture all over turkey.
4. Place turkey, breast up, on a V-shaped rack in a 12X17 inch roasting pan (or one that is at least 2" longer and wider than the bird). Insert a meat thermometer straight down through the thickest part of the breast to the bone. If using an instant-read thermometer, insert when checking temperature.
5. Roast in a 325F or 350F regular or convection oven until thermometer registers 160F (see below for times and temperatures).
6. Remove herbs and vegetables from cavities and discard. Transfer turkey to a platter. Let stand in a warm place, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, then carve. If thigh joints are still pink, cut drumsticks from thighs, place thighs in a baking pan, and bake in a 450F oven until no longer pink, 10-15 minutes.
Temps and times: 10-13 lb bird, 350 for 1.5-2.25 hours; 14-23 lb bird, 325 for 2-3 hours; 24-27 lb bird, 325 for 3-3.25 hours; 26 lb bird, 325 for 3.5-4.5 hours.
You'll also love
- Apple Pie 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Roasted Pork Chops with Green... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Italian Beef 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Kielbasa Soup with... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Apricot Glazed Pork Roast 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Maple-Glazed for Turkey 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Banana spice cookies with lemon... 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Stuffing Mix Turkey Meatloaf 4.5/5 (13 Votes)