This is a delicious Mexican Casserole recipe that combines lean ground beef, onion, jalapeño, tomatoes, corn, black beans, tortillas, sour cream and cheese—freezes well and is great as leftovers.
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef, drained or rinsed
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup canned jalapeño slices, chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 (15 ounce) can diced canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 50mins
Adapted from food.com
Brown ground beef and chopped onions in large skillet; brown 10 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring constantly. Drain well and rinse with warm water to remove all fat; return beef/onions to skillet.
Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, chilies/jalapeños and taco seasoning mix; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
Meanwhile spray 12x8-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each tortilla in half; place 8 halves in bottom of sprayed baking dish, overlapping slightly.
Spoon half of beef mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon sour cream over beef mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining 8 tortilla halves and remaining beef mixture. Cover tightly with foil & freeze for later or cook as directed below.
Thaw overnight if frozen. Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh chopped lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, black olives.