The Ultimate Make-Ahead Gravy
Make-ahead recipes are a lifesaver when the holidays roll around. Make this gravy recipe ahead of time and freeze it.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups Easy Chicken Stock
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 to 6 tablespoons easy chicken stock (optional)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 50mins
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; whisk in flour, and cook, whisking constantly, 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is light brown and smooth. Slowly whisk in 4 cups stock. Increase heat to high; bring to a boil, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to medium; stir in sage and next 4 ingredients. Simmer, stirring occasionally, 10 to 15 minutes or until desired thickness.
To make ahead, cool gravy completely. Cover and chill up to 3 days. Cook gravy and, if desired, 5 to 6 tablespoons stock in a Dutch oven over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until hot.
Mushroom Gravy: Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 (8-ounce) package sliced cremini mushrooms; sauté 6 minutes or until tender and browned. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon minced shallot; sauté 2 minutes. Add salt and ground black pepper to taste. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 1 or 2. Add mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Hands-on 35 min., Total 45 min.
Fresh Herb Gravy: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 1 or 2. Stir in 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, 1 teaspoon thinly sliced fresh chives, 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon, and 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Hands-on 25 min., Total 35 min.
Sherry Gravy: Prepare recipe as directed through Step 1 or 2. Remove pan from heat; stir in 1/4 cup sherry, bourbon, or brandy. Return to medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Hands-on 25 min., Total 35 min.
You'll also love
- Crab Cucumber Bites 4.6/5 (21 Votes)
- Chocolate-Nut Rugelach 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Chickpeas 4.8/5 (8 Votes)
- Caramel Apple Cookies 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Potato Kugel Gratin 4.4/5 (21 Votes)
- Holiday Sausage Stuffing 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Jalapeño Cream Cheese Cocktail... 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Basic Old-Fashioned Giblet Gravy 4.7/5 (7 Votes)